Friday, April 18, 2014

Tomé Hill, Viernes Santo

Notes from Planet New Mexico
Good Friday, 2014

None of the pictures that follow are mine. I was too busy being careful not to loose my footing while climbing uphill carrying my toddler son on a backpack.




It was gorgeous. Powerful. Awe-inspiring. A bit spooky. Intriguing. Exactly what I needed.

I was hoping we might run into folks singing alabados. And we did! A group of about fifteen was doing a bilingual version of the stations of the cross. The (probably) eldest man, playing a small two-headed hand drum, sang with deep emotion and a haunting voice. He did one verse of "Madre de Dolores" (my favorite alabado). And that was so much more than enough.



* More on today's pilgrimage, according to local station KRQE.

* * Other details, so I won't forget: The elder (probably the Hermano Mayor) sang in the old style of alabados, with the quick up-and-down on notes. (I need to find out what that voice technique is called.) He was the only one singing like that. Everyone else had beautiful voices, but did not sing in that style. There was a young man (probably in his twenties) playing the matraca right before each station of the cross.

2 comments:

Mimaguera de los Santos said...

Thank you for sharing Raquel. In Tucson, there is also a Good Friday Procession up "A" Mountain (aka Sentinel Peak). These are the Tucson Mountains. At the foot of the mountain was a Pima Village called Schuk Shon = Place at the foot of the Black Mountain. Schuk Shon / Stjukshon = today's Tucson.

The procession was down-played on Anglo news stations, wasn't much coverage as far as I could tell. Unable to make the hike due to a "bum" right prosthetic knee....I'm under MD's care after a few false starts with others in the medical profession. That's another story, I digress, sorry....

The turn-out on Tome Hill was a nice one, as far as I could tell from the photos. Having alabados sung, must've been very nice. Not sure of yesterday's activities up the Tucson Mtns. "A" Mtn. so named by U of A students, way back when(not sure of year). Sentinel Peak, so named by settlers, who used it as a look out against "savages", more than likely Apache warriors. That's another story!

Happy Easter to you & family.

Abrazos,

~ Mima

Raquel Z. Rivera said...

Hi Mima. Thanks so much for sharing that. I look forward to finding out about other sites of Good Friday worship around the Southwest. Coming from the radically different NY context, I'm moved and intrigued (and a bit flipped out too) by the intensity of Catholic worship around these parts. Lets keep comparing stories, Mima. Un abrazo.